Why Men Need to Pay Attention to Their Legs
Varicose veins are a common problem among women, especially as they get older. However, did you know varicose veins can also affect men as well? According to the American Heart Association, around 23 percent of all adults living in the U.S. have varicose veins, including approximately 11 million men between the ages of 40 and 80. Unfortunately, statistics also show men are less likely to seek treatment for their varicose veins, leaving them vulnerable to potential complications. There are some very good reasons why men need to pay attention to their legs and seek professional treatment if those bulging, twisting veins begin to make an appearance.
Gender is a risk factor for varicose veins, with women more likely to develop those swollen veins than men. However, other risk factors for this condition, which can affect both men and women, include:
- Heredity – if your parents have varicose veins, you are more likely to have them as well
- Age – the older you are, the more likely you are to develop a few of those swollen vessels
- Occupation – professionals that spend many hours on their feet are more susceptible
- Obesity – additional weight puts additional strain on the vessels in the lower legs
- Sedentary Lifestyle – lack of exercise leads to weight gain and additional pressure on the veins
Symptoms and Complications
Many individuals that see the visible evidence of varicose veins never experience any other symptoms. However, when left untreated, these veins can eventually be accompanied by the following uncomfortable symptoms:
- Heavy or aching legs, especially at the end of the day
- Swelling of the lower legs and feet
- Leg cramping or restless leg syndrome
- Changes in skin texture and color
- The appearance of open sores around the ankle
For some men, the symptoms can become severe enough to prevent them from enjoying certain activities. In addition, open sores known as venous ulcers can become quite large and very difficult to treat. To avoid painful symptoms and possible complications, it is best to have varicose veins treated in the earlier stages of the disease.
Today’s varicose vein treatments are faster and less painful than traditional surgical procedures of the past. At Advanced Varicose Vein Treatments of Manhattan, Dr. Ronald Lev employs a variety of innovative techniques to eliminate varicose veins with minimal discomfort and no downtime. Thanks to revolutionary technology like laser and radiofrequency energy, your veins can be treated without anesthesia or large incisions. Results are excellent and permanent.
Don’t let your varicose veins keep you from activities you enjoy. To learn more about your options in vein treatments, contact Advanced Varicose Vein Treatments of Manhattan at 212-204-6501 today.