How to Get Summer Ready Legs
While the cooler fall and winter months gave you plenty of chances to cover up your unsightly varicose or spider veins, the warmer months are coming and you want your legs to be summer-ready. At Advanced Varicose Vein Treatments of Manhattan, we offer a variety of vein treatments that can treat both varicose and spider veins, and get you on your way to smooth, beautiful summer legs.
Reasons to Get Your Spider or Varicose Veins Treated Now
Besides the fact that spider and varicose veins can be ugly and uncomfortable, they are also a warning sign of more serious problems deeper in your venous system. There are plenty of quick, non-invasive treatments available, and some of the reasons it is a good idea to get your veins treated before summer include:
- Some minimally invasive vein treatments can cause minor swelling or bruising temporarily, so if you want to hide those effects until they fade properly, you may want to wear long pants.
- Some procedures require that you spend a short time wearing compression stockings after treatment to promote healing. Undergoing your treatment now not only means you will see results by shorts season, but also be able to avoid wearing hot stockings during the summer.
- Because many non-invasive vein treatments involve the natural absorption of the diseased vein into your body, the treated varicose and spider veins fade gradually. Getting your treatment in the spring will allow time for healing, and reveal smoother, healthier legs by summer.
- Varicose veins increase your risk of developing dangerous blood clots, especially when flying. Getting spider and varicose vein treatments now means you’ll be ready to fly safely by the time you take off for your vacation.
Three Ways to Get Summer-Ready Legs
With summer knocking at your door, luckily, most varicose and spider vein treatments used most often are quick, in-office procedures. At Advanced Varicose Vein Treatments of Manhattan, we offer several minimally invasive vein procedures that typically take under an hour, are practically painless, and require zero downtime for recovery. Depending on your needs, one of these treatments will help you get ready for days at the shore:
- Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT) – Performed in our office using only local anesthesia, EVLT involves the insertion of a thin laser fiber into the problem vein via a small incision. The laser fiber is then slowly removed from the vein, giving off heat as it is removed that seals the vein, closing it off permanently. The blood is naturally rerouted to healthy veins, and the closed vein is gradually re-absorbed into the body.
- Sclerotherapy and Ultrasound-Guided Sclerotherapy – Sclerotherapy is an injection of a solution (typically saline) known as a sclerosant into the spider or varicose vein. The sclerosant irritates the vein walls, causing them to close off and eventually disappear completely. Depending on the location of the vein, ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy may be used to help guide the sclerosant into the problem vein more accurately and effectively. Sclerotherapy is an excellent option for eliminating spider veins.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy – For varicose veins that are too large to be treated with sclerotherapy, but too small for EVLT to be effective, ambulatory phlebectomy may be the right choice. It involves a series of small incisions in the problem vein, which is then carefully removed in sections through the incisions. Even though there are incisions, scarring is nearly invisible.
With a variety of treatment options available that are quick and offer superior results, don’t wait any longer to get your legs ready for summer. Call Advanced Varicose Vein Treatments of Manhattan today at 212-204-6501 to schedule a consultation.